Director of Finance
Variety - the Children's Charity of Iowa is currently searching for a Director of Finance. This key role is responsible for finance and accounting activities and will help set the strategic direction and vision for the organization. This position supports statewide programs and services and is based out of downtown Des Moines. Please submit resumes through our LinkedIn job posting or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Position
The Finance Director is responsible for overseeing all financial activities, reporting on revenue, budgeting, and managing receipt and distribution of funds. This position will work with staff, Finance Committee and Executive Director to provide accountability for the organization.
• Prepare financial schedules/reporting needed for the annual audit and tax return
• Coordinate, prepare, and monitor budgets for all operations and events, including telethon
• Manage donor restricted dollars for Variety’s programs
• Recommend financial efficiency strategies as needed
• Oversee and coordinate the Variety’s 401k program, including reporting and compliance functions
• Process payroll and payroll taxes in a timely manner
• Coordinate and administer the employee benefit program
• Perform annual review and renewal of insurance needs, i.e, commercial liability, D&O, etc
• Prepare the annual charity allocation calculation
• Prepare and coordinate financial reports for the annual campaign
• Prepare reports for monthly board meetings and finance meetings
• Process invoices in a timely manner
• Understand and implement financial oversight best practices for a small team
• Oversee monthly billing and collection process
• Ensure timely preparation and distribution of gift acknowledgements
• Oversee the office credit card usage and documentation
• Coordinate banking reviews and establish banking relationships
• Review and manage the merchant credit card processing/PCI compliance
• Learn, navigate and utilize Variety’s donor databases
• Attend all Variety hosted events throughout the year
• Represent the Variety brand in the community by attending key networking and social events
• Uphold and promote the mission and brand of Variety – the Children’s Charity
• Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in accounting, business administration
• 3-5 years of accounting experience, preferably in a nonprofit organization setting
• Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to develop effective working relationships
• Ability to travel and work evenings/weekends, holding a valid driver’s license
• Maintain a positive, flexible and responsive attitude, professional image and team-oriented style.
• Detail-oriented with ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
• Proficiency in basic computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
• Desire to help improve the lives of children in Iowa
• Desire to influence long-term strategies for the Variety organization, and to bring creative vision
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs, as needed
Director of Programs
Variety - the Children's Charity of Iowa is currently searching for a Director of Programs. This position is responsible for managing and executing the programs that support Variety’s mission and vision. Please submit resumes by emailing them to email@example.com.
- Develop, organize, and implement Variety’s programs, specifically, Mobility, Traditional Bikes, Grant Reporting, Van Status, Compassion Fund, and other programming activity throughout the year.
- Manage the Mobility Program
o Work with physical therapists to expand application opportunities
o Coordinate and manage the mobility applications, i.e., acceptance, approval, orders, funding
o Assemble the mobility equipment
o Maintain the mobility database
o Coordinate and manage the mobility presentations with the families and donors
- Manage the Bikes For Kids Program
o Work with schools and organizations to identify applicants
o Coordinate the bike applications, i.e., acceptance, bike sizes, funding
o Maintain the Bikes For Kids database
o Coordinate bike builds, loading and unloading of bikes
o Coordinate and manage the Bike For Kids presentations with the schools/organizations, including volunteers
- Manage Grant Reporting with Variety’s charity partners
o Ensure that all grant recipients submit grant reporting forms as outlined in the grant agreements
o Record grant reporting information in the charity database
o Provide grant reporting forms to Executive Director for review
o Coordinate and manage charity impact with Marketing/Public Relations Director
- Manage Van Status Reports with Variety’s charity partners
o Coordinate and manage the distribution of the Van Status Report with Variety’s charity partners
o Record Van Status Report information in the charity database
o Coordinate and manage the disposal, sale and regranting of Variety vans
- Manage the Compassion Fund Program
o Work with hospital social workers on the distribution of the Compassion Fund
o Work with the Finance Director to ensure funds are in the account
o Review Compassion Fund information sheets and provide information to Executive Director
o Record Compassion Fund information in the compassion fund database
o Conduct quarterly “spot checks” on the compassion fund recipients
o Coordinate and manage the distribution of the sleep sacks
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment and attend volunteer fairs throughout the year
- Build effective relationships with community contacts and internal stakeholders
- Work with the Executive Director to determine the need for community events and partnership that would provide value to the organization
- Attend and support all Variety hosted events throughout the year
- Represent the Variety brand in the community by attending key networking and social events
- Maintain program files and contacts
- Uphold and promote the mission and brand of Variety – the Children’s Charity
- College degree preferred, but not required
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Ability to travel and work evenings/weekends, holding a valid Iowa driver’s license
- Maintains a positive, flexible and responsive attitude, professional image and team-oriented style.
- Detail-oriented with ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Desire to help improve the lives of children in Iowa
- Desire to influence long-term strategies for the Variety organization, and to bring creative vision to represented position
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs, as needed